Server sprawl is a serious concern in enterprises today. With the advent of commodity and virtual servers, there's been a massive growth in server deployment across organizations. Using traditional back up, solutions becomes untenable when these offerings are priced at $1,000 or more per server.
And the way enterprises use servers today has changed. Before the data stored on servers changed periodically; now, the information stored on web servers and in databases changes nearly in real time. Scheduling weekly or after-hour back ups no longer cuts it when crucial corporate data is constantly changing.
"We're hearing from customers that traditional back-up products don't fit because the expense is becoming prohibitive," says Rick Pleczko, CEO of Idera. "And in environments where servers appear and disappear overnight, the rate with which the data changes means that it must be backed up more frequently than nightly or weekly."
Idera knows a little something about backing up large quantities of dynamic servers. The company gained Server Backup when it acquired R1Soft, which had more than 1,000 cloud/hosted data center customers. Today the software backs up more than 275,000 servers worldwide. With additional platform support and what Pleczko calls "disruptive" pricing, Server Backup 5.0 is well-suited for use by enterprises as well.
Continuous data protection
Server Backup 5.0 works with Windows and Linux physical servers and VMware, Hyper-V and Xen virtual servers. The software performs backups in minutes with continuous data protection, block-level backup technology that identifies exactly which portions of a hard disk need to be read for an incremental backup. And the offering can backup frequently -- every hour or less. Recovery is rapid, be it of single files or full, bare-metal restores.
Priced at $20 or less per virtual server and $200 or less per physical server, Idera believes organizations that previously only backed up a few strategic servers with expensive backup software will be able to do so on all servers in a way that's affordable, reliable and scalable.
What's more, because customers can download the software directly from Idera's site and don't have to wade through complicated software add-ons to get the functionality they need, installing Server Backup 5.0 is streamlined and simple.
To download a free trial visit http://r1soft.idera.com. For more information visit http://www.idera.com/.
(BriefingsDirect contributor Cara Garretson provided editorial assistance and research on this post. She can be reached on LinkedIn at http://linkd.in/T6trhH.)
You may also be interested in:
- VMware-Powered Cloud Adoption Delivers Bevy of Data and Performance Benefits for Revlon, Says CIO David Giambruno
- Services Provider BancVue Leverages VMware Server Virtualization to Generate Private-Cloud Benefits and Increased Business Agility
- Roundtable: Revlon and SAP executives describe accretive benefits from aggressive cloud adoption
- From VMworld, cosmetics giant Revlon harnesses the power of private cloud to produce impressive savings and cost avoidance
- VMware CTO Steve Herrod on How the Software-Defined Datacenter Benefits Enterprises
- Case Study: Strategic Approach to Disaster Recovery and Data Lifecycle Management Pays Off for Australia's SAI Global